Investigative Feature Journalist and Advocacy Storyteller Focused on Justice and Social Change

Whistleblower Testimony Points to Bribery in Beylikdüzü Land Deal Involving İmamoğlu and Associates

A Turkish businessperson, Halil Kurdu, has testified to prosecutors about an alleged 20 million Turkish lira bribery scheme linked to the transfer of municipal land in Istanbul’s Beylikdüzü district. The land in question was owned by businessman Mehmet Tatlıcı. Kurdu, a former associate and consultant to Tatlıcı, claims the payment was made to then-Deputy Mayor Murat Çalık to secure the transfer of a 12,000 square meter plot zoned as green space in the Cumhuriyet neighbourhood. The agreement was formally signed by the municipality’s mayor at the time, Ekrem İmamoğlu.

According to the testimony, land presented as a public charity initiative was later used for private commercial gain, reportedly generating over 62 million TL for Tatlıcı. Kurdu alleges that Çalık initially demanded a 25 million TL payment to approve the deal, with the final amount agreed at 20 million TL.

How the Deal Unfolded

Date: August 16, 2018
Parties: Mehmet Tatlıcı, Deputy Mayor Murat Çalık, Mayor Ekrem İmamoğlu (signatory)
Mechanism: Land donated to the municipality in exchange for usufruct rights
Public Commitment: Park, recreation area and walking space open five days a week
Actual Use: Private market with 1,800 stalls rented at commercial rates
Reported Revenue: 62 million TL all directed to Mehmet Tatlıcı
Alleged Bribe: 25 million TL initially demanded, later reduced to 20 million TL

The Land Transfer

The Land Transfer Process

Halil Kurdu’s testimony outlines how the scheme began in 2017, when Mehmet Tatlıcı sought ways to exploit municipally owned land zoned for public use. Halil Kurdu, then a business consultant to Mehmet Tatlıcı, says he was instructed to find a way to make the land “usable.” After attempts to purchase the land directly from the municipality failed. officially due to budget constraints, an alternative approach was devised as a “conditional donation” to the municipality, followed by a binding usage agreement.

In 2018, a protocol was signed between Tatlıcı and Beylikdüzü Municipality, authorized by Mayor İmamoğlu, granting usufruct rights over the land. The agreement specified that the space would be used for public recreation and sports activities five days a week, with weekend market operations allowed.

Reports indicate that around 1,800 market stalls were subsequently rented out, generating more than 62 million TL in revenue. The process allegedly bypassed standard public tender requirements and municipal tax procedures.

Bribery Claims

Halil Kurdu alleges that Deputy Mayor Murat Çalık initially demanded 25 million TL to facilitate the land deal, with the sum later negotiated down to 20 million TL by Tatlıcı. The payment is said to have been made through intermediaries, including Tatlıcı’s wife, Serap Durmuş, and his lawyer Ayhan Duran, Halil Kurdu claims he was present during these discussions and has provided phone records as evidence.

Questions of Oversight

There is currently no definitive evidence that İmamoğlu personally benefited from the transaction. However, the testimony indicates that he signed the protocol enabling the land transfer, which prosecutors allege circumvented municipal procurement rules.

Supporters of İmamoğlu, who campaigned on promises of reform and accountability, have expressed disappointment at the allegations.

Mehmet Tatlıcı, who has previously faced scrutiny over his financial dealings, has also applied for legal aid from Turkish courts, despite allegations of significant personal wealth.

Official Reactions

Neither Mehmet Tatlıcı nor Murat Çalık could be reached for comment. Mehmet Tatlıcı has later denied the bribery allegations made by whistleblower Halil Kurdu regarding the 2018 Beylikdüzü land deal. Ekrem İmamoğlu’s legal representatives have not responded to requests for statement regarding the new allegations.

Most Popular